2 cups of heavy whipping cream
2 cups of regular milk
2 loaves of day old or stale bread ( I used half a french bread plus one loaf of wheat bread)
1-2 cups of fruit (cherries, prunes, raisins,currants) soaked in rum & red wine (port)
Tip: soak fruit in jar for weeks to months in advance (click here to see fruit preparation) or for quicker preparation place dry fruit in rum & wine mixture on pot, bring to a quick boil for no more than 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes for fruit to soften, plump up and absorb the alcohol.
½ teaspoon of vanilla
½ teaspoon of nutmeg
½ teaspoon of cinnamon
1 cup of sugar
I stick of salted butter
- Slice bread & butter it. ( if bread is not dry you may toast it lightly in oven first)
- Cut buttered bread into cubes and set it aside
- In a large mixing bowl whisk eggs, add milk cream & sugar and whisk some more
- Drain fruit and add rum & wine mixture to custard. Do not add the fruit.
- Add the spice ( nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla to the custard)
- Add cubed bread to custard & mix well.
- Let bread & custard mixture sit in fridge for 10-15mins until bread has fully absorbed most of the liquid.
- Pour ⅓ bread & custard mixture into a well buttered oven safe rectangular baking pan and layer of some of the soaked fruit.
- Add another ⅓ layer of the mixture & then fruit. Repeat layering. This way all your fruit don’t just sink to the bottom during baking.
- Bake for 45 mins at 250 degrees. You may lightly cover it with foil and lower temp if top begins to burn before it is done.
RUM & WINE SAUCE
1 tablespoon of butter
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup whole milk
½ cup evaporated milk or whole cream
¼ cup of sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons each of red wine & rum
- Bring whole milk & evaporated milk to boil on low heat.
- While stirring add cornstarch & hand whisk to remove any lumps.
- Add vanilla & butter & stir still on low heat until thick enough to coat spoon
- Add rum & wine stir and remove from heat.
- Drizzle a few spoon fulls over a warm slice of bread pudding and enjoy!
Watch me make it here