As a father of three teenage children, the oldest preparing to go to college, I have been preoccupied with thoughts about the future. What kind of world will they be inheriting? Will they be happy and safe? How can they achieve their dreams?
You might be thinking the same for yourself. In an uncertain world we are all feeling a little apprehensive about the future. Here are five steps to unlock your potential and reduce the uncertainty.
- Engage your world. Discovery demands it. One thing is certain you will not find your potential by hiding in a closet. Explore your interests and don’t be afraid to try new things or putting yourself out there. Interested in film making? Take a Masterclass online or enroll at your local college or university.
- Take inventory of your skill set. Wanting to do something and being able to do it are two distinct things. Identify your knowledge and talent gaps and seek ways to fill them. Doing so gives you a point of reference of where you are and where you need to be to adequately perform whether in the boardroom, on the playing field or on stage.
- Create specific, measurable action steps towards your goals. Without them your dreams will remain dreams. Vague, nebulous statements like “I want to be a millionaire” are unhelpful. Be as specific as possible. What industry, discipline, or craft you are going to master? For how long? How much will you save per pay period?
- Take action. Only two little words and they make all the difference in the world. It seems simple but for many of us, this is where we get stuck. Sometimes our fears overtake us and we lose hope, causing us to stall and lose momentum. Or we prefer dreaming over action because in that way we can avoid rejection and failure. In either case, we fail to fulfill our destiny by doing nothing.
- Evaluate the process and take corrective action if necessary. Circumstances can change so be prepared to adapt and seek opportunities, especially from apparent challenges. Build time into your schedule to think about your goals and aspirations. Take a moment to reflect and inspire yourself to press onward. If something isn’t working, don’t be afraid to change it.
In the next blog we are going to drill down a bit more on the above steps in greater detail.
Be the best in you.
And don’t forget to subscribe to get the most recent blogs about health, beauty and lifestyle in your mailbox.